Lots of small companies are saving money by increasing deductibles on their health care plans (or canceling all together). Difficult economic times mean tough either/or choices for small business owners. For many, adding voluntary benefits to compensate for cutbacks elsewhere in a benefits package or to enrich an existing core benefits plan – particularly one with a high deductible – makes more sense than making cuts in critical areas of business, laying off key employees or losing them to a competitor with a richer benefits package.
Consider offering disability, life, dental, vision, critical illness and accident benefits on a voluntary basis, a la carte-style, where employees can pick and choose among them and pay for the ones they want and can afford. Not only does offering voluntary benefits cost employers virtually nothing and help level the playing field with larger companies, it also affords employees access to various types of insurance coverage, typically with looser underwriting requirements and at group rates that are lower than if they went out and got coverage on their own.
Small and mid-sized businesses can use voluntary benefits as a magnet to draw and keep quality talent. Here are some examples of voluntary products that experts say are the most popular and provide the most bang for the employee buck:
- Disability Insurance (Long and Short Term) – This is the most popular voluntary benefit
- Life Insurance – many employees are unable to qualify for a low cost policy in the individual market, they can also purchase coverage for their spouse and dependent children
- Voluntary Dental Insurance is very popular because plans can be designed to meet the needs of your employees
- Vision – this coverage is currently only offered on a group basis
- More targeted in their coverage but also appealing, especially to businesses with high deductible plans, are supplemental accident insurance and critical illness insurance
We work with all major carriers that offer these benefits as well as free employee assistance programs, wellness programs, etc. If you would like to discuss voluntary benefits for your employees, we are happy to meet with you and provide a customized survey for you to poll employees and determine their needs for these valuable benefits. Call us at (772) 287-3366 today to get more information or fill in an online form.